Thursday, March 1, 2012

Peanut Butter Bars

You know sometimes when you make a dessert and it is extra good? I know pretty much all desserts are good, but sometimes you make one and it is better than others? Well, roll in the peanut butter bars I made a couple of weeks ago. They were delicious!



I found the recipe through Pinterest on a neat little blog, that I now follow, called Six Sisters' Stuff. You can find the original recipe here

One day I was bored and decided I wanted to bake something. When that happens I usually go straight to Pinterest and scroll through my long list of "Delectable Desserts". I saw these, clicked on them, and noticed I had everything already in my cabinets and BAM! they were sitting on my kitchen counter by the time Garrett got home!

For the bars:
You will need:

1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1 Cup Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Peanut Butter, divided
2 Cups Oatmeal, not instant
2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt

What to do:

Cream first three ingredients together. Add the vanilla, eggs, and 1 cup of the peanut butter and mix until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Spread dough on a greased baking sheet. I used our 11in. by 17in. and it was perfect. If you don't have one that size you could split it up onto two different baking sheets. Or, you could bake them in a baking dish for thicker bars!

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

While still warm from the oven, spread the remaining 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter on top. It will spread easily! Let sit until peanut butter hardens back up. We sat ours in the fridge to speed up the process!

For the chocolate icing:

You will need:

1 Stick Butter, softened
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla
3 Heaping Spoonfuls Cocoa
2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar

 Mix all ingredients until smooth and spread onto bars!





 I took these into work and gave some to our neighbors. The recipe makes alot. Everyone loved them and I got a ton of compliments on them! How can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate?






22 comments:

  1. om nom nom nom...these look delish, whit! you know i love anything with peanut butter and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brit! I love anything with those two ingredients too, too bad Garrett doesn't! Silly boy!

      Delete
  2. oh wow...this looks fabulous! everyone in my whole family would like this!! thanks!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along! I will definitely stop by and follow you as well! : )

      Delete
  3. ohhhh mother of pearl. why do you do this to me? you had me at peanut butter, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother of pearl lol, nice to know I'm not the only one who says that. Thanks Katie!

      Delete
  4. you can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. i just made a dessert with those two and will be eating way too much of it. these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh what'd ya make? Blog about it?? I LOVE anything peanut butter and chocolate!

      Delete
  5. Those look absolutely HEAVENLY! Love it. Your blog is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Yum Yum!! These look A-MAZ-ING!!

    Thank goodness for Pinterest!! (I'm planning my birthday party and I've decided to ONLY make things from Pinterest! So many great ideas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Pinterest is where it's at! My husband doesn't understand my obsession with it. I guess it's not really a guy thing though. Can't wait to read about your birthday party and the things that you made! : )

      Delete
  7. Whitney you have THE best recipes! These look sooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. uhh... YUM! I need to make my tummy happy and make these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! They definitely made my tummy happy! : )

      Delete
  9. yum! you can never go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soooo good! I'm so glad you shared them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh these look sooo good! i wish they were vegan :)

    ReplyDelete