Yep. You read that correctly. Coconut AND praline together in ONE pie! I won't go on and on about how absolutely wonderful this pie is, how great the praline layer and the coconut cream layer go together or how great the homemade whipped cream tastes but, you should most definitely try this one for yourself! Maybe your addition to the family Christmas table?
For the praline layer you will need:
1 Baked 9" Pie Crust (Bake as directed on back of package)
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup (one stick) Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Cups Chopped Pecans
1. Bake your pie crust as directed on the back of the package.
2. Melt the butter and brown sugar together in a sauce pan over medium heat until the sugar loses it's graininess and the butter is completely melted.
3. Pour the melted butter and sugar directly into the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle the pecans directly on top of that. Try to keep them spread out so that there is pecan in every bite! Set aside.
For the Coconut Cream layer you will need:
1 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Flour
2 Egg Yolks
2 14oz. Cans Evaporated Milk
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup shredded Coconut
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Butter
1. Whisk together the sugar, flour, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and salt until well combined. Then add the 1 cup of coconut and mix it in. Be sure to mix this in a big microwaveable bowl.
2. Microwave this mixture until it thickens and heavily coats a spoon. We microwaved ours around 15 minutes but yours may not take that long. Be sure to stir every minute to minute and a half.
3. Let cool for about 5 minutes and then add in the vanilla and butter. The butter will melt from the heat of the mixture so you do not have to melt it first.
4. Pour over the praline layer. Place in fridge to let cool for 45 minutes to an hour.
For the Whipped Cream topping:
1 Pint of Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Sugar
Toasted Coconut (we just eyeballed this)
1. Pour heavy cream and sugar into mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. The consistency of whipped cream! We used 1/2 cup of sugar but you can add more or less depending on how sweet you like it. 1/2 cup seemed about perfect to me! Spread onto pie using whatever amount you like, we used almost all of it.
2. Place a handful of coconut onto a baking sheet and lightly toast it using the broiler. Sprinkle it on top of the pie!
Look at those layers! YUM!
Now that I have your mouth watering, go ahead and plan on making this yummy slice of Heaven! You won't regret it!
Recipe found here.