Saturday, October 1, 2011

Garrett's Big Night

Last Saturday, the 24th of September, Garrett and I went to a LGBT gala honoring the Center in Denver, Co. The Center is a non profit community center dedicated to providing support and advocacy for Colorado’s gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) population.

Previously, the Center had contacted Zerosun Pictures, a local (fabulous) production company where Garrett has worked for the past 9ish months, to do a video for them about the Center and the people who benefit from it's existence. My wonderfully talented husband Garrett was given the position of producer and was in charge of filming, organizing interviews, creating a story from the footage, and several other things that he just listed out loud to me that I can't remember at the moment. Basically, he was the head honcho on this particular production project! Many projects/videos were done for the Center, one being a 10 minute documentary. 

Back to last Saturday. After our too-fancy-for-me dinner and several quirky speakers, the documentary that Garrett produced was shown in front of an estimated 500 people. The feeling of being in that room, watching the documentary with these people who had been ostracized, hated for who/what they are, and unwanted by their families not too long ago was very empowering. It created a sense of pride that was completely unsuspected having never gone through those things myself.  I can't imagine the sense of pride they had to have been feeling. The video showcased where the LGBT community had been in the past and where it has evolved to today, which is almost a complete turn-around from where it used to be. The interviews and testimonials were heart-grabbing, opening my eyes to the hardships suffered as well as the to the successes that the Center has came upon. The documentary created a sense of happiness, triumph, and above all, pride, for everyone viewing it. Looking into the faces of those seated next to me, I could see what this video meant to them. That they had lived those things and had came through a happy, prideful person. 

Afterward several people approached Garrett, shook his hand, and told him how awesome the video was. One even called him a "magician". Babe, I don't think you will ever completely understand what you did for the people that night. You helped them to feel what every person deserves to feel; happiness, pride, joy, excitement. All of the important things. I am so very proud of you!! Your hard work, dedication, and just overall care for others really made the difference in the documentary and in the hearts of everyone there. As you were watching the video, I was watching the faces of those around me (and occasionally the back of your head). In their faces I saw the purpose of all of the hard work you and Zerosun put into this project. It was amazing! So again, I am very proud of you and great job!

We got to sit at table number 1


 Told you it was fancy! Nasty shrimp!


 I thought the butter looked awesome!


Me and the hero of the night! : )


Yep. That is all of the pictures I took that night if you can believe it. I don't know what was wrong with me!

In closing: YAY Garrett!! : )



No comments:

Post a Comment