Oh yes...Nutella Puppy Chow! How amazing does that sound?
I have been wanting to make this for a week or so and finally got around to it. Let me tell ya, it was worth the wait! Or maybe I should say not worth the wait since I should have made it sooner? Hmm..confusing. Anyways, imagine a Nutella flavored KitKat covered in powdered sugar, in perfect bite sized pieces. Definitely delicious! This will be a great little snack to take to work and to sneak into Garrett's lunch bag. Maybe take some to Joanna at work also? : ) This stuff is extremely addicting so I definitely need to give some away before I eat the whole bag myself. I beleive that is the only downfall to desserts...the guilt you feel when you "accidentally" eat the whole bag/pan/plate. Sometimes it's worth it! Right? Uhh..right?
Here's the recipe!
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Nutella
3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (Use semi-sweet for best taste!)
3/4 Cup White Chocolate Chips
2/3 Cup Hazelnuts
13 Cups/1 12oz Box Chex (We used plain Rice Chex)
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
* We didn't use hazelnuts because for the life of me I couldn't find any at any store I went to. Not wanting to wait until we found some, I went ahead and made it without, and it tastes delicious. But, if you want more of a hazelnut/Nutella flavor add the hazelnuts. Then, let me know where you found them!
1. In a 350 degree preheated oven, roast hazelnuts until fragrant and light brown, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool and remove as much of the skin as you can with a towel. Grind up hazelnuts finely in a food processor.
2. Put the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter, chocolate, and white chocolate, stirring constantly.
4. When all is melted, remove from heat and add Nutella and stir until mixed in, then add hazelnuts and stir well.
5. Slowly pour over cereal.
6. Stir with your hands! It is MUCH easier than with a spoon. It may take some time since the the batter is thick. You will have to gently do this so that you don't crush the cereal.
Definitely remove any rings that you are wearing. This gets extremely messy!
Grrrr! : ) I was threatening to wipe some on Garrett. But I didn't. Ps. See that colorful drawing on our fridge? One of my girls at work made that and gave it to me! Love it!
My hand looks HUGE!
Pre powdered sugar
7. Dump into a gallon size zip-lock bag and pour in powdered sugar. Start out with a little and add more as needed. You don't want them TOO coated with powdered sugar because they will end up tasting too sweet. Zip up the bag and shake it until they are coated. We didn't measure out the powdered sugar, just kept adding until it looked like we wanted it.
Ready to eat!