Monday, January 28, 2013

Early Birthday Weekend


I will be 26 this Tuesday. 26!

Honestly, I haven't been very excited for this birthday. 26 seems old, there are things I wanted to have done by now that aren't done, and it's closer to 30. So, when Garrett started asking me awhile back what I wanted to do to celebrate, I couldn't think of anything. 

We decided that we were going to celebrate this last weekend since we both work on Tuesday.  Finally, Thursday night I told Garrett what I might want to do. We usually take a small weekend trip but I wasn't feeling spending the money to go anywhere for the whole weekend. 

Instead we stayed one night in downtown Denver on the 16th Street Mall. We have been there quite a bit but have never stayed, so I thought it would be fun. It was! 

Friday we went on a hike and on the way home spotted several places we had been wanting to try. First was Del Taco, then Nothing Bundt Cakes, and then we stopped to get Krispy Kreme. I can explain:

1. I was hoping Del Taco would be similar to Taco Bueno, which is a Texas thing, it was good but not as good as Bueno. 

2. I had spotted Nothing Bundt Cakes before and wanted to try it, so we took this opportunity to give it a try. It was GOOD! More on it later..

3. We had no idea there was a Krispy Kreme in the state of Colorado, and it's a long way from home, and it was my birthday weekend, so we bought some.

Those reasons are good enough right?


Saturday we woke up, got ready, and headed downtown for the night. 
We took the light rail so we didn't have to pay to park at the hotel.


I take alot of random pictures. This is one of them. See that clown wig? That was a lady's bike helmet!


We checked in to our hotel and headed to Yard House. Yard House is a bar/restaurant that specializes in having unique beer. We ordered chicken strips for an appetizer and Garrett had a beer.




After appetizers, we split up and I went to H&M and Forever 21. Garrett hung out at Barnes & Noble and a cigar shop. I am sad to report that neither H&M nor Forever 21 had many things that I was interested in. That never happens!

We had dinner and drinks at Hard Rock Cafe, took our leftovers back to the hotel, and went to a movie. We watched Mama, it was jumpy scary, but pretty silly. I am a big horror movie fan, so I liked it a little more than Garrett did.


I had a burger and Garrett had more chicken strips. Both were yummy!


After the movie we went to Cheesecake Factory for dessert. I had been wanting to try the Cookie Dough Cheesecake so bad, but they were out. We got Adam's Peanut Butter Fudge Ripple and it was good!


After dessert we went back to the hotel and watched...wrestling. I have no idea why. Neither of us even like wrestling. I had no idea that every bit of it was fake, so I watched in amazement as Garrett explained that it is all an act. 

The view from our room:


Sunday, after lunch, we headed home. It was a fun, relaxing, low-key weekend.

*Thanks babe for getting the hotel, going from restaurant to restaurant with me, letting me spend some time at H&M and Forever 21, and being a great sport about it all. I love you!*




15 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday weekend!

    Nothing Bundt Cakes is SO good!! The bundtini's are amazing, I was expecting them to be a bit dry but they weren't at all.

    Ohhh man, Taco Bueno, how I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fun weekend! You are making me miss home so much! I love Denver!!

    storiesofkel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy almost birthday, whitney!! what a wonderful, relaxing weekend!! all the amazing food and desserts are making my stomach growl even more than it already is! ahh, i love krisy kreme...it's been a while since i've had one, but i could eat at least three in a row! i lol at that woman's amazing helmet! :) that's awesome!
    i'm so glad you and garrett had a great weekend together. your view was beautiful!
    sending love and wishing you a sweet day tomorrow. <3<3<3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! That sounded like a wonderful weekend!! I was wondering if the movie Mama would be any good and worth the money to see in theaters....

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday!!! I just turned 26 on the 14th of jan!! looks like an absolutely wonderful time!!
    Helene in Between

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect birthday weekend! It's always fun exploring new places in your town. Anddd I had my first Nothing Bundt Cake last week! It was amazingggg. Can't wait to have another. Happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think spending one night in a city is such a fun thing to do. It lets you explore a little bit more than if you were just taking a day trip. I have been trying to get my husband to stay in Portland for awhile now. Looks like you guys had fun! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg looks like y'all had SO much fun!! i can't believe you'll be 26 tomorrow...we are getting so old :/. what a gorgeous view from y'alls room...so neat that y'all did a hotel stay! and that cheesecake...oh man, now you've made me go and tell Z that's where I wanna go for Valentine's Day. he said to tell you thanks Whitney. haha! that hard rock cheeseburger looks yummy too! happy early birthday, beautiful! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday!!! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow! what a great weekend! I want one of those donuts right now! and that clown helmet is hilarious. i feel like whenever I go to a clothes store to spend money i never find something I want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun early celebration! We have a Del Taco and you are right, it isn't as good as Bueno! Happy early birthday! I've heard that 40 is the new 30 so I guess 26 is the new 16? Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am about to be 27, boooooo! You look so adorbs in your pictures and I LOVE your heart glasses! You and you hubby are way too cute. And I can always find a good reason for krispy kreme. ;)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVIE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice little weekend getaway. Sounds perfect and low key. We have Krispy Kreme and Nothin Bundt cakes. Love them BOTH!! We also have a Yard House. I heard some bad things about Mama so I'm glad you didn't say it was awful 'cause I still want to see it. You are NOT old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! What a fun weekend- I LOVE Nothing Bundt Cakes- so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! What a fun weekend you guys had, that would be right up my ally :) Hope you're having a wonderful day dear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday!!!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to following along your journey.

    ReplyDelete